Latest News

Personal Injury Accidents A Lawyer Can Help You With

January 9th, 2018

Many personal injury accidents occur in Ontario each day. Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere, including while you are commuting and when you are at work, doing business, or at home.  Highly common personal injury claim types are introduced briefly here.

Automobile Accidents

Automobile accidents are so frequent that drivers are first required to obtain a licence and mandatory auto insurance before they can get behind the wheel. If you get injured in an accident, basic coverage for related expenses is available in the form of Accident Benefits, regardless of who was at fault. Insurance policy terms and conditions are standard and must comply with the Insurance Act.

To access Statutory Accident Benefits, you must complete various forms and submit them within contractually stated timelines. Failing to submit the required forms in a timely manner will prohibit you from receiving money that you may need for medical and rehabilitative treatment or to supplement your income. Our lawyers in Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, New Liskeard and Ottawa have the knowledge and experience to ensure that you collect the maximum amount allowable under your insurance policy.

If the accident injuries are considered permanent and serious, you may have a tort claim for expenses and losses above and beyond your personal insurance policy limits. You may be eligible to receive compensation for pain and suffering, future lost income, additional living expenses and medical and rehabilitation costs if you have been seriously injured. Our law firm can advise you if you have a claim for losses over and above the limits your insurance policy and can help you navigate the litigation process.

Buses and Public Transportation Accidents

Accidents involving public transportation may be subject to different laws and statutes depending on the circumstances.

If your injuries occurred while boarding public transit due to a municipality not clearing snow from a platform or maintaining a roadway, the municipality may also be found liable. Consult with our personal injury lawyers in Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, New Liskeard and Ottawa as soon as possible to ensure the responsible parties are put on notice within any limitation periods that may be applicable.  The deadlines for providing notice to government authorities are often as little as ten days, so it is essential to contact a lawyer immediately.

Cycling Accidents

Cycling in the city, suburbs or country can be hazardous. Cyclists are subject to the Highway Traffic Act, but drivers are often not cautious about their responsibility to share the road with them.  Cycling accidents often result in catastrophic injuries to the cyclist.

Our law firm offices in Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, New Liskeard and Ottawa have the experience necessary to establish your claim if you have suffered injuries from a cycling accident.

Pedestrian Accidents

As a pedestrian, you are vulnerable to motor vehicles, bicycles, neglected properties and even falling debris. In assessing who is negligent, the case may be more complex if a business or building owner has some liability.

Our firm can conduct the necessary searches to determine who owns a building if the owner was negligent, and can put the owner’s insurance company on notice.  A building that is under maintenance may also have a contracting company that is responsible. It is critical that you have an experienced lawyer to ensure that every negligent party is served with your claim for injuries.

Slip and Falls

The Occupiers’ Liability Act states that:

(1) an owner;

(2) a person who has responsibility for and control over the condition of premises;

(3) a person who has responsibility for and control over the activities conducted on premises; or (4) a person who has responsibility for and control over persons allowed to enter the premises, has a duty to take such care that is reasonable to ensure that persons entering on the premises, and the property brought on the premises by those persons are reasonably safe while on the premises.

A simple slip and fall can result fractures, head injuries, spinal injuries or soft tissue injuries.

If your accident occurred on municipal property you may be required to give notice of your accident within days, depending on the municipality. Our legal professionals in Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, New Liskeard and Ottawa can advise you.

Medical & Dental Malpractice

Regulated Health Practitioners, such as doctors, nurses and dentists, must meet legal standards when providing care to their patients. Misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, medication, surgical and anesthesia errors, or birth injuries are all considered a breach of the standard of care.  Our personal injury firm has the expertise to assess your potential claim and to advise you if you have suffered injuries from a health care provider’s error, act or omission.

Disability & Life Insurance Disputes

When you pay insurance premiums for disability or life insurance, you expect your insurer to honor your policy when your need arises.  Unfortunately, insurers often deny or terminate claims; when they do, their refusal pay can be financially devastating for you and your family.

If you have been denied benefits, our firm can advocate for you to your insurance company.  If they continue to refuse to pay, we have experienced lawyers who can sue for the benefits that you are owed.

Contact Wallbridge, Wallbridge, Personal Injury Lawyers in Ottawa, North Bay, New Liskeard, Sudbury & Timmins

At our law firm, we handle personal injury claims solely for Plaintiffs. Whether you need an auto accident lawyer in Sudbury, a slip and fall lawyer in Timmins, or a medical or dental malpractice lawyer in Ottawa, we can help you get results. Our lawyers handle a broad range of personal injury claims. We provide a free initial personal injury consultation and charge on a contingency fee basis. Call today at 1-866-856-6197.